Loading...
03/19/2019 06A Council Committee MinutesBUSINESS OF THE CITY COUNCIL YAKIMA, WASHINGTON AGENDA STATEMENT Item No. 6.A. For Meeting of: March 19, 2019 ITEM TITLE: Accept Council Committee minutes SUBMITTED BY: CaIly Price, Assistant to the City Manager SUMMARY EXPLANATION: January 24, 2019 Economic Development Committee minutes January 31, 2019 Public Safety Committee minutes ITEM BUDGETED: STRATEGIC PRIORITY: APPROVED FOR SUBMITTAL: City Manager STAFF RECOMMENDATION: BOARD/COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION: ATTACHMENTS: Description Upload Date 012419 EDC rrinutes 3/12/2019 013119 PSC minutes 3/12/2019 Type Cover Memo Cover Memo Council Economic Development Committee Members: Council member White Council member Coffey Council member Cousens 2"d Floor Conference Room City Hall January 24, 2019 1:30 p.m. Staff: Sara Watkins, Senior Assistant City Attorney Rob Peterson, Airport Director Scott Schafer, Public Works Director Glenn Denman, Building Official CaIly Price, Assistant to the City Manager Executive inutes White called the meeting to order. Others: Luz Gutierrez John Cooper Jonathan Smith Jerry Mellen Verlynn Best Andrew Holt Joe Mann 1. Review draft minutes from December 20, 2018 meeting: The December 20, 2018 meeting minutes were reviewed. Cousens motioned to accept the minutes as presented and Coffey seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as presented. 2. Discussions: a. Strategic Priorities i. Review new strategic direction approved by Council 1/12/19 The City Council met on January 12 to update its strategic priorities for the year. The primary change for the Economic Development Committee was replacing the downtown plaza with downtown destination. This item will be added to future agendas. b. Economic Development Plan - nothing to report i. Competitiveness 1. Private sites — Smith reported that some private properties have been added to the opportunity zones website for individuals or businesses looking to expand in Yakima. 2. City sites — Smith reported that three airport sites were added to the YCDA online GIS property database. 3. Mill site — Watkins provided an update on the mill site. 3 4. Public Port Authority — Smith reported that the Chamber is hosting a lunch in March to talk about Port Districts. Best will send an invite and more information when it's available. 5. Incentives — Smith reported that a sales tax incentive for developers may be introduced in the legislature again this year. Developers in Yakima took advantage of this opportunity in the past. City staff will contact City's lobbyists to see if this is something they are tracking. 6. Education Alignment — Smith reported that the committee has been working on a directory of all career education programs in the valley and will be releasing it soon. 7. YKM - 8. Convention Center — Cooper provided an update on the Convention Center expansion. The selection committee should have a firm selected in March. ii. Traded Sector 1. YKM — Peterson reported that there were 144,000 in/out bound passengers that traveled through the Yakima Airport in 2018. This number mirrors 2017. Alaska Airline is offering the fourth flight through March, will drop a flight in spring, but add the fourth flight back in summer. Staff is working with a marketing agency on the FLYYKM campaign. Currently there is about $80,000 grant funds left for marketing of the Airport. Union Gap was the only jurisdiction that offered to contribute to the marketing efforts and included money in its 2019 budget to assist. Peterson provide a quick overview on some of the capital projects needed at the airport and stressed the importance of regional support. White asked for an update on the recent article about CWU expanding its program in Yakima. Peterson reported that staff will be meeting with CWU representatives in the near future to talk about logistics. The final report is due the end of February. 2. Clusters — Smith reported that YCDA is participating in various agriculture and food processing and packaging trade shows. iii. Community pride — nothing to report Coffey asked that staff update the Economic Development Strategic Plan matrix and bring it to the next meeting. c. Council policy requests i. Vacant Building Ordinance report from Sara Watkins distributed and reviewed a spreadsheet showing other cities regulations on vacant buildings. Committee members openly discussed what other cities do and requested that Watkins contact Everett regarding their 4 fees and that staff work with DAY to create a list of vacant properties in the DYBID. Cooper suggested that the Arts Commission be included in the discussion. 3. Staff and Partner Announcements a. Utility pole use for cell facility — report from Sara Watkins reported that the City does not currently have any regulations regarding wireless facilities and asked that the Committee authorize the planning commission to review regulations and make recommendations to the full Council. Developing wireless facility regulations will allow smaller companies an opportunity to compete with the larger companies. b. Shipping container ordinance proposal — report from Glenn Denman read his January 24, 2019 memo (included in the packet). Committee members asked that staff prepare a draft ordinance for Committee members to review at the next meeting. White asked staff to determine if the shipping containers at the Holiday Inn were permitted or are in the clear view area. c. Pavement Condition Index — report from Scott Schafer gave an overview of what the pavement condition is, how streets are identified, and reviewed the 2015 list of streets (latest data available). Some streets on the list have been identified as part of a project and will be fixed when the project work is being completed. The City is considering hiring a consultant in 2020 to update the PCI list but the cost is $80-100,000 and needs to be budgeted. White would like to have development standards be defined for the downtown core. If the Committee's focus is making the downtown a destination then there needs to be standards for the businesses/property owners. Coffey asked staff to work with DAY to develop a plan to bring back to the Committee at the next meeting. d. RECON Convention May 19-22, 2019 in Las Vegas Committee members agreed Yakima would not have a booth at the RECON Convention this year. e. Entertainment Facilities Conference May 16-17 in San Diego Committee members did not think this conference would be appropriate for staff/council. Holt added that the National Main Street Conference will be held in Seattle this year. Discounted rates are available for elected/appointed officials. The dates are March 25-27. This item will be added to the February 5 City Council agenda for discussion under committee reports. 4. Future agenda items a. Review updated Economic Development Strategic Plan timeline b. Downtown destination c. Fulcrum presentation d. Everett abandoned/vacant building ordinance fee e. Shipping container ordinance f. Inventory of vacant building/lots in DYBID g. Filling gaps — information from Holly h. Develop downtown infrastructure criteria 5. Audience Participation Joe Mann suggested that Fulcrum present at the next meeting to talk about some of the projects they are working on. Mellon stated that the vacant building ordinance is a very good but needs to be very strong. He also suggested that there needs to be easier ways for landlords to get people out. Best suggested that staff look at what Portsmouth, Virginia did to deal with abandoned buildings/properties and how they developed affordable housing. Holt stated that DAY has its monthly meeting on February 5 and will be sharing the 2018 year-end report. r Counc 1 Public Safety Co tee Members: Councilmember Gutierrez Councilmember White (alt) Councilmember Coffey (alt) 2nd Floor Conference Room City Hall January 31, 2019 3:00 p.m. Staff: Cliff Moore, City Manager Gary Jones, Interim Police Chief Aaron Markham, Fire Chief Scott Schafer, PW Director Cynthia Martinez, City Prosecutor Terri Croft, Police Executive i ut s White called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. 6 Others: Tony Miller, Director YVEM 1. December 20, 2018 minutes It was MOVED by White and SECONDED by Coffey to accept the minutes as presented. The minutes were approved unanimously. 2. Department reports a. Fire Department i. Annual statistical fire activity report Markham provided the annual statistical report for the Yakima Fire Department. He noted that this is different from the annual report that will be presented to council. The committee requested that future monthly reports statistics added to reflect year-to-date and month-to-month comparison for the current and previous years. There was discussion regarding the use of plexi -board to board up vacant residences. Markham noted that there was not strict guideline for contractors to use this material, primarily due to the expense. b. Police Department i. Community Policing Report Jones briefly addressed the community policing report to full council two weeks prior. Shift change has been completed so beat officers are in their new assignments. Staff is working on various methods of communication between the officers and the community. Command staff has been having briefings with officers to discuss the philosophy of community policing and are receiving positive feedback. 7 Coffey asked about continuation of bicycle patrols. Jones advised that he will continue bicycle patrols through grant funding, but wants to expand by using evidence based deployment, not just focusing on the downtown area, but other areas where crime analysis can determine there are issues. Gutierrez would like to see some type of flyer or information that officers can leave with community groups to continue building on the initial meetings. c. Legal i. DV Response Martinez reported that the full council had approved the formation of the CCRT and that it will be led by the domestic violence advocate. Recruitment for the DV advocate is expected to start by the end of February. White asked if there were any opportunities for community volunteers to assist in the domestic violence efforts. Martinez would like to see the CCRT get to the point where community members could assist. Gutierrez advised she would like to see the draft state legislation priorities given to all the council members and lobbyists so everyone was on the same page when discussing the domestic violence priority. d. Public Works i. Safe Routes to Schools Schafer reported there are two current Safe Routes to Schools projects, Garfield Elementary and McClure Elementary. Garfield is in its second year due to having to obtain right of ways in 2018. All work will be done this summer to be ready for the 2019-2020 school year. Applications have been submitted for McKinley Elementary and Apple Valley Elementary. Staff should have additional information in June. ii. Traffic calming update Schafer presented a report on traffic calming requests under the new process. 20 applications have been submitted and baseline information was taken. Preliminary data shows 8 of the requests are at or below the speed limit and do not warrant traffic calming measures. Another 8 requests are within 5 mph of the posted speed limits and may require further evaluation. The education component of the traffic calming procedure will be initiated in these areas. 3 of the requests are at 5 mph or more above the posted speed limits and will require further evaluation. Education will be initiated. The final request was received only days before the meeting and is in preliminary data gathering stages. Gutierrez asked how long the signage would remain up during the education phase. Schafer 8 advised it would be up for a few weeks, and also noted a report will be presented to the full council on February 19. Gutierrez asked what occurs after enforcement fails and the engineering phase has to start. Schafer advised that triggers the second petition. Gutierrez requested that the 2nd petition be brought to the next Public Safety Committee meeting for discussion. iii. School zone signage on Fair Ave. Staff is proceeding with adding two more flashing signs on Fair Avenue and an additional pedestrian crossing at Kiwanis Park. e. Emergency Management Miller reported they are working on a flood plan and preparing sand bag supplies. Schafer added that the levies are being dredged and cleared to try to avoid flooding problems, as well as making agreements with DOT for access to divert water. 3. New Business a. Public Safety discussions with Yakima School District Gutierrez asked for the support of the committee to make a list of priorities to discuss with the Yakima School District at joint meeting, particularly focusing on Safe Routes to Schools. The list will be presented to the full council for consideration when creating the agenda. Moore provided an update on the response from the school district to his letter requesting surveying of sidewalk/lighting/dangerous properties/code enforcement issues. They advised they would co-sponsor public forums, but felt polling was on sidewalks and lighting were City responsibilities. Their next requests would be Adams and Barge Lincoln Elementary Schools. They also felt they did not want to put parents in the position commenting on code enforcement and danger property issues and that would also be a City responsibility. Staff has reached out to the school district to find a date for a joint meeting and school district staff replied that a meeting couldn't be scheduled at this time. Mayor Coffey requested Cally set a meeting with the school board president Mr. Navarro 4. Other business a. GRIT update The steering committee met for an update on village meetings with various stakeholders and the community. Working with ESD and YSD to reach out to select middle school students for mentoring and counseling. They recommended contracting with a former SRO, Gary Garza, which was approved by the steering committee. Also met with the project coordinator to discuss data needed to apply for future funding. Gutierrez requested a GRIT progress report at the February 19 meeting. b. Markham provided a report on the recent 911 outage. The incident started as a minor issue but got progressively worse. Text to 911 still worked during the outage and alternative phone numbers were used to contact the center. SunComm has requested a published number to be used in the 9 event of an outage. (509) 453-9000 will be the E911 backup number and will be published by February 1, 2019. There are funds available for community education of the backup numbers through County E911 funding sources. 5. Recap of future agenda items • Public Safety discussion with Yakima School Districts (until told for certain no meeting will take place) • 2nd petition in traffic calming process • One way street update around Garfield Elementary Moore will follow up on: • Main Street Conference agenda • Information for domestic violence lobbyist • Scheduling meeting with Mayor Coffey and School Board • GRIT update at 2/19 council meeting. 6. Audience participation None 7. Items for council committee report • Traffic calming petition discussion • Upcoming Coffee with a Cop events 8. Adjournment Meeting was adjourned at 4:13 p.m. Dulce Gutierrez, Chair